Saturday, May 16, 2015

Practicing Changing Perspective

Practicing Non-Judgment
"We go through our day judging our experiences, other people, ourselves: this is good, this is bad. If all goes well, most of it will be good, but more than we realize, we dislike certain experiences, things about people, about ourselves. 
These sensations are just phenomena in the world, happening without any good or bad intention, just happening. They aren’t happening “to” us, nor are they there “for” us. They just happen, without thinking about us as the center of the universe. 
What I’ve noticed, when I experience anger, frustration, disappointment … is that I am judging my experiences (and others, and myself) based on whether they are what I want, whether they are good for me or not. But why am I at the center of the universe? What about the other person? What about the rest of the universe? If I drop away my self-centeredness, I no longer have reason for frustration. The experiences are just happening, and have nothing to do with me. They are neither good nor bad, they’re just happening."
This skill to notice when you are judging a situation and feeling negative emotions because of your expectations is one of the most useful emotional management tools I've learned about over the years. In more colloquial terms, "Things happen." It doesn't have to be personal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment